Sunday, January 3, 2010

Marketing Yourself as a Writer


It's easy to say your a writer, but how do you show the world you are what you say?

Writing isn't always easy to do.

At times, when I can't think of anything to say, I'll find a cool youtube video and post it.

Then I'll write about what I think about the topic on hand.

I like doing that, because it gives me fresh ideas and it educates me on all sorts of topics that I wouldn't normally look into.

One of the things I've started this year is blogging daily on The St Catharines Standard site.

It's my local newspaper.

Sure people around the world know about my blogs but no one in my own neighbourhood does.

There are a few hundred that are aware of my writing, but I've never really put myself out there.

And now I am.

It's cool because I'm starting to get to know fellow writers in my area!

Its all part of marketing yourself as a writer.

When the time comes for you to sell your book, you need to know the local newspaper, media, radio stations and  book wholesalers.

Don't wait till after you're published.

Start working on your network of contacts, before you even submit a book to a Literary Agent.

I think they will be impressed if you have lots of connections, it makes the publishers job easier and you will have some decent book sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment