Friday, December 11, 2009

Query Letters - Why Do I Have To Query A Literary Agent?





Query Letters - Why Do I Have To Query A Literary Agent?


I was rather proud of myself today, I'm half asleep and I was able to type a legible post about Query Letters.



You will often find that what I'm doing research on, I will share with you what I learn.



This week I did my first FINAL READING of The Calamity Girl - The Promotion Manuscript.



I was pretty happy because there were hardly any errors!



YAY ME!!!!



As London Tipton would do on The ZACK and CODY Show!



I get a kick out of that show, you should watch it sometime, it's hilarious!



So this week I'm researching the Writer's Market to see what types of genre's that Literary Agents look for.



Then I'll be cross referencing them with GOOGLE to find their blogs.



I want to get to know my Literary Agents before I start to Query them.



You want a good perspective of what's hot on the market.



If I see an agent only asking for submissions for Young Adult, I am not going to Query her.



Why?

Because my book is Chick Lit, Romance.

What is the point of sending it to an agent that doesn't handle those type of manuscripts?

I'm wasting their time and mine.

Are you paying attention to what the Literary Agent is asking for?

Or are you blindly sending out Queries, and getting rejected hundreds of times.

It is something to think about.

I'm going to advise you to set aside a day, every week to do research.

Whether it be for a setting, a character, an agent or a publisher.



Once you know what you're dealing with, you won't feel so frustrated about it all.

Where do you start?

Take a look at the Writer's Market and Guide to Literary Agents.



If your unsure of what GENRE your book is, then GOOGLE GENRE WIKIPEDIA.



Wikipedia has a run down of each GENRE and a description.



If all else fails, place it under FICTION or NON FICTION and let the Literary Agent decide for you.


Just for the record, blogger is adding spaces and cutting off my sentences when I post this?











No comments:

Post a Comment