Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Grammar Girl's Quick And Dirty Tips By Mignon Fogarty

I loved the Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips by Mignon Fogarty. The book was funny, entertaining and very knowledgeable.Grammar Girl covers the most recent information in regards to punctuation, capitalization, dictionaries and more. She also does Podcasts(I will take the time this week and listen in.)

She writes in a way I've never seen before. It is refreshing and it stimulates the brain. I mean most "Grammar & Spelling" books are kind of dry to read. I'm falling asleep by page two in most cases. This book was fantastic, because she has these cute little cartoons throughout the book giving examples of everything you need to know for sentence structure, punctuation, nouns, verbs,etc.

I think every student should read this book, even children. I started out reading the Scholastic Children's Grammar Books because I was having trouble reading after being in a car accident. I never realized how difficult it would be to study and learn to be a writer. I used to write before and it was natural and I knew it all, I lost my writing job because of the accident.

After the car accident, I couldn't think straight and I was suffering brain damage. It's been three years and I'm still having issues with it. What I liked the most about this book, is that it was written in a way so that even I (with brain damage) could understand it.If you want to learn everything in an easy to read format, this book is the one to pick. Also for those of you out there that have loved ones that have suffered brain damage, or are just learning English, please recommend this book as part of their studies.

They will not only find it humorous to read, but they will be able to learn each section quite easily. Please note - When studying anything, the brain will only retain up to nine things in short term memory; so in order for you to remember it, associate it with a picture or thing and you will find it easier to learn.

Also only do a page or two at a time, read it over several times, let it digest, meditate on it and then practice it in your writing for that day. I find it sticks easier that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment